Useful External Links
- Australian Astronomical Societies (Amateur)
- Helioviewer.org Helioviewer.org is an open-source project for the visualization of solar and heliospheric data. The project is funded by ESA and NASA.
- Spaceweatherlive.com – lots of data and a forum for those keen on discussing space weather. European based but very useful.
- Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) forecasting website
- Skippysky Astro-weather Forecast website (Australian / International). SkippySky shows clouds, wind and temperature, and specific astronomy fields that called “Seeing”, “Transparency” and “Dewing Risk”.
- Time zone conversion site (International)
- Space.com (International. Space and Astronomy news)
- Spaceflightnow.com (International. Space news)
- Sunrise, Sunset and twilight times (Australia)
- JPL Space Calendar (International. A very useful and detailed list of upcoming space and astronomy events).
- North Australian Fire Information (Australian. Find out where the smoke is coming from).
- Satellite Image Page – Bureau of Meteorology (Australian. Satellite views of cloud cover for Australia.)
- Moonrise and Moonset times (Australia)
- IceinSpace Australian Amateur Astronomer Community (Australian)
- Skymaps.com (Australia/International. Free monthly all-sky chart.)
- Free Deep Sky Atlas (International. Magnitude 14 DSO, magnitude 10.2 stars, 101 pages (entire sky), 21 “zoom” maps. Indicated best objects, dark and bright nebluae outlines, common names.)
- Near Earth asteroids (International)
- NASA Near Earth Object Programme (U.S.A)
- Asteroid Impact Simulator (International. An easy-to-use, interactive web site for estimating the regional environmental consequences of an impact on Earth. This program will estimate the ejecta distribution, ground shaking, atmospheric blast wave, and thermal effects of an impact as well as the size of the crater produced.
- Comet Observation Database – find the current magnitude of your favourite comet!
- Jupiter’s ‘Great Red Spot’ transit time calculator.
Information about the Sun-Earth environment
The Sundial Primer
Lots of different types of paper sundials to download and make. Free downloads. http://www.mysundial.ca/sdu/sdu_sundial_kits.html
Canberra All Sky Webcam
Aurora Patrol Camera: Tasmania
An all-sky aurora patrol CCD camera located at Cressy, Tasmania
Historic Spacecraft – Photos of Rockets and Spacecraft